Thanks to a recent research, the Lucus Pisaurensis has been identified on the north-eastern slopes of the Colle della Salute (Hill of the Health). A lucus was a wood consecrated to the divinities by the ancient Romans. Here they made offerings and sacrifices when asking for intervention of the gods or to thank them for received benefits. With the advent of Christianity, sacred woods were gradually abandoned or destroyed. In 1737 Annibale degli Abbati Olivieri, owner at the time of the farmhouse Il Pignocco, announced that he had discovered the votive complex of a very ancient sacred place, the Lucus Pisaurensis, about a mile outside Pesaro. The material that Abbati found consisted of thirteen inscriptions in antique characters and language bordering with the Etruscan, innumerable metal and terracotta votive offerings and coin offerings dating from the most ancient to the Roman times.